This post marks my blogging for 1 month and last weekend was the big move from the apartment to the house. Thus I have lots of unpacking to do, but hey I typically enjoy the reorganizing part.
I have heard and agree with the generalization that most people gravitate and gather in the kitchen of a home. With this in mind and the already accumulated clutter in the kitchen, I decided to start there with my unpacking endeavor.
I started my process by opening up all the cabinets, so I can easily look up and see what space I have left to work with as I unpack. Reality is that I don’t put things in a place until I fully unpack, so my counter tops quickly became overcrowded, but I personally like to revisit all the items I have before selecting the best new home.
The kitchen with everything unpacked
As I reflect on my kitchen organization, here are a few tips:
- Get everything out and visible
- Put away the everyday items first
- Plates, bowls, glasses, utensils, etc.
- Place them in readily accessible areas (close to the sink, by dishwasher, all together in a cupboard)
- Next put away the most commonly used items
- Skillets & pots
- Containers for leftovers, pans
- Appliances (mixer, food processor, etc..)
- Then put remaining large items away
- Placing them in the back of cabinets or up high
- Put away tools in drawers
- Pizza cutter, measuring cups/spoons, etc…
Kitchen organization in progress
As I was finding spots for my commonly used items I was asking myself these questions:
- Do I want to keep getting it out of a cabinet or have it on a counter all time?
- Do I have lids for this, if so can I store them near by?
- Is this heavy? If yes, then should I store it down low?
Finally an organized kitchen!
What tips and tricks do you use when you organize?